Qualification: Licentiate Diploma
Course code: MU
Credits : 60
How long does it take?
Part time – 2 years
Full time – 1 years
Time limit – 10 years
This diploma will extend your knowledge of music theory to graduate level through study of the advanced elements of Western music. You’ll undertake different tasks built around separate areas as well as combining the technical elements of music with history as preparation for the final two paper exam.
Key features of the course
- Study a wide range of musical history and skills
- Advance your skills in analysis, composition and contextual study
- Create your own music within different contexts
- Relevant to a wide range of careers including music performance, teaching, composition, community music leadership, and musicologist as well as further study of Music.
An independent qualification in its own right at UK RQF level 6 equivalence, this diploma grants credit towards the Bachelor of Music degree.
Students for tis qualification must already hold an Associate diploma of Victoria College Exams or an equivalent award.
Students at should have a knowledge of musical theory equivalent to two years study at undergraduate before commencing study alongside the required pre-requisite qualifications. Students would also usually be expected to be either performers or composers of good standard as well in order to demonstrate a practical application of the skills they will develop.
How much time do I need?
- Most of our students study part time, completing 60 credits a year.
- This will usually mean studying for 6-12 hours a week.